Wednesday, October 13, 2010

SORRY but...

I'm going to switch my blog to Tumblr soon! Sad to say this but I really do not like Blogger and so I'm going to gradually move all my posts over to Tumblr and then delete this account.

I also still have to write about Japan, but until then...

I went to an Emmaeus dinner, which is a Christian group on Yonsei's campus. I don't think my schedule is going work out but it was fun. Maybe this shows how prideful I am, but I was amazed that people didn't know anyone from Boston and that they didn't really know about Cornerstone. I guess I just assume everyone will meet someone from Boston and that, since Cornerstone is mainly Korean, someone would've somehow been a part of Emmaeus... :) but one of the Emmaeus leaders did know about Wellesley, woot!
________________________________
Somehow we started talking about Brave New World, my favorite book, and I guess my summary sounded intellectual because some people were like wow, this is out of my league...I remember feeling a little shocked and then shocked at my shock. It's bad but this was my thought process:

1. I am seriously not trying to sound intelligent. I just am very passionate about the book.
2. This reminds me of my life in grade school, when I would take things seriously or get into talking about something, and then people would say stuff like oh you're using such big words, you're so smart, this is too intellectual for me...
3. And I'd always get kind of uncomfortable. Because I know I'm not that "smart" or anything, and I don't want to make the others uncomfy because my vocab or my verbal content makes them feel "dumb"...
4. But then I'd secretly also be like, yep I'm smarter, you need to work harder to keep up with me. I hated that pridefulness in me, and when people said what I said/did was "smart" or "too intellectual" I'd always have this conflict of feeling sorry that the person (oftentimes) obviously was putting down him/herself, and then feeling smug about myself. GAH. And being Asian doesn't help, the model minority stereotype... seriously... people need to get a grip.
5. Anyway, I remembered these experiences during the dinner and was surprised at the tide of memories--it really did stress me out when I was younger, to see people put themselves down.

____________
Moving on...

I ate at a place called Loving Hut last Thursday, 10.7.2010, which is apparently all around the world but has different things on the menu depending on location. It is environmentally friendly and cute!

I got a new pair of eyeglasses today... America makes stuff so complicated, my frames and lenses were only 65,000 Won alltogether, so less that $65. In America even just the frame is at least $20...

I went to a place called Club Vera in Hongdae because there was a special discount thingy going on for foreigners. I really wanted K-Pop music to be played but alas it was not forthcoming...

Friday and Saturday I already blogged about...

No comments:

Post a Comment