Erm... we visited places that gave us good views of North Korea from where we were. I'll come back and edit this once I go over the schedule so I can be more specific. But yeah, today we saw exhibits of the animals in the DMZ (for those who are not aware, the DeMilitarized Zone, the 38th Parallel which divides the Koreas, has amazing wildlife because no human goes in that zone. Wouldn't it be great if Korea is unified one day and what one divided now unifies the country in a beautiful oasis of untouched nature?
We stopped at our place for the night kind of early. After unpacking we went to dinner (with the Vice Minister and some of his friends? officials?) and ate 닭도리탕. Which is really spicy chicken and potato stew, kind of. It was so red and spicy I couldn't really eat it. :(
Afterwards we chilled outside until we all met to have discussion time. Christine got stung by a bee but it ended up being okay because one of our unni friends had a green paste for it.
***I need to talk with the other girls about this so I'll update what we talked about later.
*Random thought: I like the Del Monde tomato juice here. They give us grape juice and tomato juice and apple juice during the discussion. :)
Afterwards, Wellesley + BU met to debrief a little, and talk about how the past three days had gone. I expressed my frustration with the language barrier and asked if the other girls could translate for me and Daisy more, since it was really frustrating all day to not understand even 50% of what was being said. (After we agreed on this the trip went much better.)
We talked about the need to pray more and to try and learn from everyone there as well. While we were meeting we were told to meet with our teams (we were all split up into four teams). In a room with Christine, Wellesley Grace, and about ten others, we (the Peace team, shirt color Forest Green) met and introduced ourselves and how we got interested in North Korea/Unification issues. We started brainstorming ideas for a skit we had to make.
By now it was about 11:00 pm (the earliest night we had the whole week). We went back to our respective rooms, showerd, and slept.
Fun nugget 1: When I say I ate food, I mean that I ate food sitting cross-legged on the floor. We only had one meal with chairs.
Fun nugget 2: I slept on the floor with four other girls this night and the next two nights. Just blankets, us, and the floor.
Fun nugget 3: The weather was hot and humid that I wanted to die. It was by far the most humid and hot and uncomfortable weather I've ever had to stand. Ever. EVER. I love Utah weather so much... I will never complain about weather again, it was that horrible.
Fun nugget 4: The Ministry keeps giving us stuff. Like hankerchief-like things for sweat. Banana milk (바나나맛 우유) which is sooo good. Little blow up U-shaped pillows for our heads on the bus. They are really considerate!
No comments:
Post a Comment