Sunday, August 1, 2010

My First Time in a Korean (English service) Church

--Wake up. Have Choco Balls with milk (like Choco Puffs only way better! Lighter and less sweet and more nutritious :]). Eat watermelon. Leave for church. Get lost going to church. Ask three different people for directions. Think I'm at the church, when I'm actually at the Korean service. Finally find the English service. :)

--And then... be introduced to something completely different from what I have ever experienced! I went to Sarang Community Church in Gangnam, and they had special guests from New Zealand. From Cross Church (the name of an area, not a church. I think the church was called Majestic?), this team travels around the world and shares God through hip-hop song and dance, rapping and break-dancing, and just general entertainment and media (they write their own songs, some of the members are in the middle of recording CDs). I was very... astonished? I went with Daisy and Bryan, although Bryan went to an earlier service. His reaction (paraphrased): "I don't know what to think yet since I wasn't there the whole time, but yeah they are really new age. There was hip-hop dancing and break-dancing during worship. It's a little too intense for me."

Little did he know that the dancing wasn't the normal worship service for Sarang Church, it was a special service. LOL.

After church, I (on a whim) invited the woman sitting next to me, JongIn, who was also new to the church, to have lunch with Daisy and me. She accepted and we went to a Vietnamese place in the area. She is 26 and just started learning English a few months ago so we were all practicing Korean and English during the meal. I'm glad I asked her to come, she apparently was a piano major in college.

--Look around the stores in Gangnam Station. Get tempted by the waffles there but resist buying one. Go back home. Eat leftover pad thai for dinner. Drink 미숫 가루 (ground beans and milk drink that I've never tried before but was really good) for dessert.

--End of Sunday!

EDIT: Jen comes in to tell me that if I keep the fan on but the door closed, I'm going to die. (Her mom told her to tell me.) Um... what?

EDIT 2: Jen wonders if I have to wake up early tomorrow. Yes, why? Because she and her parents can't sleep, so they're eating squid and drinking 막골리 and wondering if I would like to join. I politely decline. :)

1 comment:

  1. It' true that keeping fan in a close room will adversely impact your lung. People turn fan fast to keep them cool and sleep. But the constant air flow will hurt your lung and in severe case, may cause irreversible damage and death. I don't have real proof, but when I lived in Korea, a window is open (screen on to keep bugs out) when is on. but we turned it off when we fall sleep.

    ReplyDelete